Saturday 10 February 2007

the quest for 100

So what now? I decided that I would give the kitten a go for the sake of it - mostly because of the great feedback I'd got.

Notable amongst this was feedback from one of my customers. She was a supply teacher in the area of special needs and learning difficulties. She said a few things about the stories which made me feel I was onto something. The first was that she had to read a lot of quite basic stories to the children and young adults in her care and that it was nice to read something that she really liked as well. She also said that older children with lower reading ages really liked it when they had a story whose language was basic but had a sophisticated sortof sense of humour.

It also appeared that by having a kitten who suffers a lot of minor frustrations I was mirroring a lot of the concerns of little kids. I don't have kids, but I've been told that at lot of the tantrums you see from little ones are to do with their powerlessness. I'd also apparently got some good repetition and a lot of tricks of kids authors use into the stories without knowing it. I read a really large quantity of books and have done since a little kiddie - probably I'd been unconsciously mimicing stuff from all the stories I'd absorbed over the years.

I had a think and decided that taking all the above into consideration I would pursue the kitten stories when I got over a 100 positive feedback from strangers.

No comments: