Sunday 18 February 2007

publishing - getting an agent/publisher

by far the best way to get published is to aquire an agent. very few people get published these days without an agent.

my plan was to find the agents of other kids book authors and target them. Check out the bookshops and review pages and news items. Find books like your own and then google their author's name and "agent"

When you send stuff to agents there's almost an industry standard.

If it's a novel send a first chapter, synopsis of the whole novel, details of the main characters and a cv about yourself. Don't bind, staple or clip your manuscript (they hate that) and make sure your details are clearly marked on all the pages of the manuscript.

With a kids book, send the whole manuscript.

of course, being a cleverclogs I haven't practiced what I preach. As we know from before, printing is expensive so I just came up with my list and posted something else to them. I wrote a covering letter and added three pages of my "reviews" from ebay. I requested they look at the website, and contact me for more info.

I also sent to a couple of publishers direct.

No comments: